Pure bliss is all I can say about blistered Shishito peppers. I can’t describe how much I love them in words so you’ll have to trust me on this one. They infuse some extra joy into my day and I can eat more than any one person probably should!
They’re simple to make and have health benefits too.
- The peppers protect against stress and certain diseases and help with pain management and inflammation.
- The lemon helps improve skin, digestion and ulcers, and it’s also used for eye care and respiratory disorders.
Blistered Shishito peppers recipe
Makes: 4 servings (or 1 if you’re me!)
Total time: 10-15 minutes, cook time: 10-12, prep time: 2 minutes
Note: Depending on the time of year, these can get very hot.
- 1 pound (16 ounces) Shishito peppers, or Padron peppers
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil or sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of aged balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat until the pan is hot. Add the peppers when it’s hot and turn occasionally.
- Add a few slices of lemon after a minute, turning occasionally. Cook until the peppers begin to blister; about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Squeeze more lemon, and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve immediately.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 120
- Fat: 8g
- Carb: 9g
- Protein: 4g