Spicy gluten-free and vegan beet burger. With or without a bun, it’s a super delicious take on a burger!
- Makes: 4 burgers
- Total time: 30-40 minutes, cooking time: 20 minutes, prep time: 10-20 minutes
- 2 cups of raw beets, chopped (about 2 medium-sized beets)
- 1/2 cup lentils, cooked
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (certified gluten-free), Bob’s Red Mill is one brand
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of organic mustard
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: My not so secret sauce: Horseradish mustard. I use Kozlik’s brand (it is spicy!)
- Optional toppings: I was lazy and used a mixed salad for toppings! You can use the ones you like
- Combine the oats and lentils in a blender (if you’re using the chili, add it as well) and put it on pulse for 5 seconds.
- Add the vinegar and continue on pulse until the mixture appears finely chopped and sticks together. Scoop the mixture out into a large bowl and set aside.
- Next add the onion, garlic, mustard and beets to the blender and pulse until finely chopped.
- In large pan, warm the oil over medium heat and add the beet mixture, the salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, until it’s soft.
- Transfer it to the bowl with the oats and chickpeas mixture.
- Add the chickpea flour to the bowl and stir everything together until it’s blended together.
Note: If the mixture appears too wet, add more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time until it’s dry enough to hold together.
- With your hands, scoop out about 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time to form the 4 large patties
- Cook them in the pan over medium heat for about 4 minutes each side.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 beet burger (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 177 (189 with horseradish mustard and toppings)
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbs: 25 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
If you are going to use a bun, Unbun offers a vegan, paleo, gluten-free bun that’s also keto.
The nutritional value for one bun according to their website:
- Calories: 260
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbs: 14 g
- Protein: 11 g
Total nutritional information with bun (Based on 1 beet burger and brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 436
- Fat: 27 g
- Carbs: 39 g
- Protein: 18.5 g
Check out more recipes!
That looks lovely, must try it out soon!
Looks yummy..will try for my vegan hubby 😂
This didn’t show up in my feed. I saw it in some someone else’s that reposted it. Just as an fyi
Thanks for the recipe!
Looks like a great burger!
Thanks for the recipe! How creative
It looks so good!