Sometimes I just feel like a samich (did anyone else call it that as a kid?) but need to be a little creative since I’m still not 100% sold on any of the gluten-free bread I have tried. I found gluten-free spinach tortillas, and they are great! And I love shawarma so combined; it made a perfect match! This recipe makes a great lunch or easy dinner.
Spinach tofu shawarma recipe
- Makes: 4-6 Servings
- Total time: 30 minutes, 15-20 minutes’ cook time, 10 minutes’ prep time
- 2lb /1 kg of extra-firm tofu
- 6 spinach tortillas, the gluten-free brand I use is Rudi’s Bakery
- Sliced lettuce
- 3 tomatoes, sliced or diced
- 1 onion, sliced or diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 tablespoons of ground coriander
- 1.5 tablespoons of ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons of ground cayenne pepper (omit if you don’t want any spice)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of vegan Greek yogurt, I use So Delicious coconut milk yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
Directions for tofu
- Drain and slice the tofu.
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the tofu and make sure to coat each piece. Marinate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Mix the yogurt sauce ingredients in a bowl and put it in the fridge if making it ahead. It can last up to three days in the fridge.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high. The marinade already has oil so you shouldn’t need more, but you can spray a little in the pan if you feel you need it.
- Place the tofu in the pan and turn every 2-3 minutes for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove the tofu and set aside in a bowl for 5 minutes.
- Take a tortilla and smear with the yogurt sauce and then add some of the tofu, lettuce and onions and roll. Do this for each one and serve.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 276
- Fat: 12g
- Carbs: 38g
- Protein: 17g
For some more plant-based, gluten=free recipe inspiration, check out my other recipes.