I love cabbage rolls. Last week I posted my stuffed version, and said I would post the lazy version. So here it is! It’s not as pretty to look at, but it tastes just as good!
Some of the health benefits of this recipe include intestinal and eye health, weight loss and anti-aging properties. Mine are gluten-free and this one is vegan as well.
Unstuffed cabbage rolls with tofu
- This recipe is inspired by traditional Polish cabbage rolls but modified for allergens, calories … and my laziness.
- Makes: 8-10 servings
- Total Time: 25-30 minutes, cook time: 15 minutes (depending on rice used), prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 large head cabbage
- 3 pounds of ground tofu
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped very fine
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced very fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups of strained tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of aged balsamic vinegar
- 3 chilis diced or 2 tablespoons of hot sauce, omit if you don’t want any spice
Note: You may need to split this into two sauce pans depending on the size of your pans.
- Tofu: Marinate for a minimum of 1 hour ahead of time with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, pepper, ½ cup of the strained tomatoes, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of basil, ¼ of the onion and if using: 1 tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Cook the rice according to the package.
- Core and chop the cabbage into small pieces.
- Sauté the remaining garlic and onion 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-heat in a deep pan or pot until onions are brown. Add in the strained tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, remaining salt, pepper and the majority of the basil.
- Add tofu and cabbage and cook for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the basil and rice and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve while it’s still warm.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories per serving: 199
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbs: 37 g
- Protein: 9 g
Check out some more of my recipes if you need some cooking inspiration.
Stay safe and well everyone!
I’ll have to try that combination, appreciate you sharing this
Looks good! I’ll give this a try on Sunday
Sounds and looks interesting!
I have to try this!
Oh, yum! This looks so simple and healthy. Thanks for posting; I’m going to try it this weekend.
It looks so good