Makes: 6 servings
Total time: 1 and a half hours, cook time: 1 hour and 10 minutes, prep time: 15-20 minutes
- 2 packages of ground tofu
- 500 g gluten free spaghetti (brown rice, white rice or corn pasta all work, note: corn pasta gives a sweeter taste)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup crimini or button mushrooms, diced
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 and a half bottles of strained tomatoes (I use Primo brand in the bottle, it’s lower calorie and lower sodium than others)
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano (if using dried, add ¼ teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil (if using dried, add ½ teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- ¼ cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- Marinate tofu for at least 5 minutes in advance with ¼ of the cup of strained tomatoes, 1 garlic clove, ¼ cup of red wine/cooking wine (if you are using it), salt and black pepper to your taste
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, ground beef, onion, garlic, mushrooms and green pepper in a large saucepan. Cook and stir until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain grease.
- Stir in Roma tomatoes, strained tomatoes, remaining olive oil and wine or balsamic vinegar.
- Add in salt, pepper, oregano and 1 and ½ tablespoons of the basil.
- Simmer spaghetti sauce for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. At the 50 minute mark, add in remaining basil and all the parsley if using it and stir into the sauce.
Approximate Nutritional Information for 1 Serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 362.83
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbs: 59 g
- Protein: 16 g