Total Time: 1 hour (if cooking chicken and sauce concurrently) add 20 minutes if not. Cook time: 30 minutes, prep time: 30 minutes (if marinating the meat, add in sitting time for marinade)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds (900 g) cremini mushrooms, diced
- Handful of shiitake mushrooms
- 3/4 cup yellow onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (if using dried, use 1.5 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped (if using dried, use 2.5 tablespoons)
- 4 cups chicken stock (I use Kitchen Basics brand because it’s gluten free and low sodium)
- ½-1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine or non-alcoholic white cooking white
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Ingredients for Chicken Marinade
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or you can debone and skin the breasts yourself, add extra prep time)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, quartered and squeezed onto the chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of dry white wine or non-alcoholic white cooking wine
For the sauce
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Add in the mushrooms, stir to coat with the olive oil. Cook the mushrooms on medium-high heat until they are lightly browned and have released most of their water.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add chicken stock, minced onions, garlic, salt, pepper dried tarragon,
- Increase the heat to medium-high; bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a hand blender, purée the sauce until smooth and then return to the pot. (If the sauce is too thick for you, add some water or more stock to thin the sauce to the desired level of thickness.)
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
For the chicken
- Marinate chicken at least 1 hour before cooking if possible using the ingredients above
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (this can be done prior to cooking the sauce so that the chicken and soup cook at the same time).
- Add in the marinated chicken and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until fully cooked (but not dry).
Once both the sauce and chicken are cooked, coat the chicken with the marinade in a separate dish. If you have sauce left over, you can use it as a gravy for your side dish/dishes.
Approximate Nutritional Information for 1 Serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories per serving: 335 calories
- Fat: 19 g
- Carbs: 5 g
- Protein: 25.8 g