You may be getting bored with quarantine cooking, so here’s a dish very few can resist – stuffed peppers with quinoa! It’s tasty, and full of health benefits including improved immunity, weight loss and digestive health. Bonus is that it’s gluten-free (I almost typed guilt-free!) and vegan. It’s a long weekend in Canada, so it’s a perfect time for me to make these. Have a wonderful weekend everyone and long weekend to my fellow Canadians!
Peppers stuffed with quinoa
- Total time: Approximately 1 hour, 25 minutes, Cook time: 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, Prep time: 15 minutes
- Makes: 2 servings
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1+1/4 cup water
- 540g strained tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped almonds or walnuts
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 diced chili pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers. Remove the seeds and scrape out the flesh inside the peppers with a spoon. Set aside.
- Mix quinoa, 1 cup of the strained tomatoes, ½ of the basil and the water in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Set heat to lowest setting, cover saucepan and simmer until liquid is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
- Sauté the almonds or walnuts in a pan for a few minutes; don’t let them burn. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and cook the onions and garlic for approximately 3 minutes. Add to a large bowl.
- When the quinoa is ready, add it to the bowl, as well as the mint, the remaining pasta sauce and salt and pepper.
- Divide the quinoa mixture evenly among the bell peppers, fully fill each pepper. Put the top back on the pepper.
- Arrange the peppers upright in a parchment paper-lined dish for the oven, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 20g
- Carbs: 35g
- Protein: 14g
Check out some more of my recipes if you need some inspiration!