Ingredients for the harissa paste
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (for sautéing)
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 hot red chilis, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place the bell pepper in an oven pan and put your oven on broil.
- Once hot, place the pan in and turn occasionally for about 25 minutes, until blackened on the outside and completely soft.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool. Peel the pepper and throw away the skin and seeds.
- Put a frying pan over low heat and lightly toast the coriander, cumin, and caraway seeds for 2 minutes. Transfer them to a mortar and use a pestle to grind them into a powder.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and fry the onion, garlic, and chiles for 10 to 12 minutes, until a dark and smoky color.
- Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- It can be used for up to two weeks when refrigerated.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 73
- Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbs: 6.8 g
- Protein: 3 g