I’ve been cooking most days for the last four months and have been looking for creative and quick dishes to eat for dinner, that don’t take much energy. It’s been extremely hot the last few weeks, which makes me lazy. This vegan and gluten-free habanero mango tofu bowl turned out delightful so I thought I would share it.
Habanero mango tofu bowl recipe
Makes: 4 servings
Total Time: 30 minutes, cook time: 15 minutes, prep time: 15 minutes (plus time to marinate)
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 540g of cubed extra-firm tofu
- 1 medium mango
- 2 cups of vegetables of your choice, chopped
- 1-2 habanero peppers diced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh juice from a lime
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 small onion chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup of Pinot Grigio or non-alcoholic dry white wine
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon habanero pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Crushed black peppercorn and sea salt
- 1/2 mango sliced or cubed: Already included in the amount listed in the ingredients above
- Handful of chopped or sliced onions: Already included in the amount listed in the ingredients above
- Peel and cube your mango. Keep half aside for the toppings
- Chop or slice the onion and keep some aside for the toppings
- Blend the first 11 ingredients together in a blender except your toppings to make a sauce.
- Drain your tofu and chop or slice it. Pour half of the sauce over the tofu and let it marinate in fridge for a minimum of 10 minutes up to 24 hours (the longer it marinates, the better it tastes).
- Cook the rice according to package.
- Remove the marinated tofu from the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Place your chicken in a baking dish and add the extra sauce on top.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, depending on your oven and the size of your tofu pieces. Check after 5 minutes to see how much more time it needs.
- After 5-10 minutes, add the vegetables to lightly cook.
- Remove and serve with rice and some of the toppings for each bowl
Approximate nutrition information for one serving size (Based on brands and amounts used in this recipe)
- Calories: 296
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 65g
- Protein: 18g
Check out my other recipes for more gluten-free food inspiration!