Delicious gluten-free and vegan baked fries and gravy that taste like they’re fried, only healthier! What better for a long weekend snack or breakfast (I never judge!)?
- Serves: 4
- Total Time: 80 minutes
To save time, cook both at the same time:
Total time: 80 minutes, cook time: 45 minutes, prep time: 5 minutes, soaking time 30 minutes
- 4 small Russet (baking) potatoes, sliced to your preferred level of thickness
- 1 tablespoon of extra- virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon pepper
- Sea salt to your taste
- Optional: Parsley garnish
- Wash the potatoes and leave the skin on, or peel them if you prefer.
- Cut the potatoes into your desired amount of thickness.
- Let the potatoes soak in cold water in a bowl for 30 minutes. Remove and pat them dry until they are completely dry.
- While the potatoes are soaking, preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Toss with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the oven up to 425° and cook fries until golden, about 25-30 minutes more.
- Garnish with parsley when serving, if using it.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving of fries (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 164
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbs: 29 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
Total time: 35 minutes, cook time: 15, prep time: 5 minutes, cooling time 15 minutes
Ingredients for the gravy
- 1 small Yukon Gold potato, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup of water
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of cremini mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of gluten-free soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of course sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
Directions for the gravy
- Chop or dice the potato, mushrooms, garlic, onion and basil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and sauté the onion until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and mushrooms and stir for 1 or 2 minutes, just until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the potato, soy sauce, basil and water, and bring the water to a boil.
- Once it is boiling, lower the heat to simmer and cover the pan.
- Cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Once tender, turn off the stove and let the contents cool down for about 15 minutes.
- Once slightly cooler, transfer the contents to your blender and add in the salt and black pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Heat up again when you are ready to use.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving of Gravy (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 40
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbs: 5 g
- Protein: 2 g
Total Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving of fries and gravy (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 204
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Carbs: 34 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
Check out more of my recipes!
Have a great weekend and Valentine’s Day
Yum! Have a wonderful weekend!
Looks great! Enjoy your weekend
Enjoy your valentines day!
Yum! Happy Valentine’s Day!!
Happy Valentines Day!
I love fries!
I have to try this gravy recipe!
Happy Valentines Day! Looks great