Bibb lettuce salad with Dijon vinaigrette
Makes: 4 servings
Total time: 15 minutes, prep time: 15 minutes
- 4 heads of Bibb lettuce. It’s also known as butter lettuce.
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves, chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dressing (see below for ingredients and directions)
Directions (Work with one head of bibb lettuce at a time)
- Cut out the core from each head of lettuce and separate the leaves, but keep each head of lettuce together.
- Clean leaves and dry, either pat dry or spin-dry in a salad spinner.
- Place the leaves from one head of lettuce in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt, 1.5 teaspoons of the shallots and chives, and 1 tablespoon each of the parsley and tarragon
- Then toss gently with 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Repeat with the remaining heads.
- For each serving, arrange the outer lettuce leaves as a base on the plate and rebuild each head of lettuce and end with the smallest leaves.
Dressing ingredients (makes 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard. Here’s a list of gluten-free versions.
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock (this helps cut down on oil)
- 1/2 cup of sunflower oil
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend at medium speed until creamy.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories per serving: 164
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbs: 10 g
- Protein: 4 g
Find more of our gluten-free and vegan recipes.