- Makes: 21-28 balls, or 7 servings (3-4 balls per person depending on the size)
- Total time: 30-40 minutes, cooking time: 20 minutes, prep time: 10-20 minutes
- 2 cups of raw beets, chopped (about 2 medium-sized beets)
- 1/2 cup lentils, cooked
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (certified gluten-free), Bob’s Red Mill is one brand
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced (about 2-inches)
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons organic mustard
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1 chili diced, cilantro for garnish and organic mustard dipping sauce or topping sauce
- Combine the oats and lentils in a blender (if you’re using the chili, add it as well) and put it on pulse for 5 seconds.
- Add the vinegar and continue on pulse until the mixture appears finely chopped and sticks together. Scoop the mixture out into a large bowl and set aside.
- Next add the onion, garlic, mustard and beets to the blender and pulse until finely chopped.
- In large pan, warm the oil over medium heat and add the beet mixture, the salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, until it’s soft.
- Transfer it to the bowl with the oats and chickpeas mixture.
- Add the chickpea flour to the bowl and stir everything together until it’s blended together.
Note: If the mixture appears too wet, add more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time until it’s dry enough to hold together.
- With your hands, scoop out about 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time to form the meatballs.
- Cook them in the pan over medium heat for about 4 minutes each side.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on 3-4 balls per person), and brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 103
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbs: 6.2 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
Find more of our gluten-free and vegan recipes.