I have come to love beet balls. Full disclosure, it really wasn’t hard for me since I love beets! They taste fantastic on their own, with a salad or as a burger. I have them for lunch often with a basic salad, so I get the full flavor of the beets.
Beet balls recipe
- Makes: 21-28 balls, or 7 servings (3-4 balls per person depending on the size)
- Total time: 30-40 minutes, cooking time: 20 minutes, prep time: 10-20 minutes
- 2 cups of raw beets, chopped (about 2 medium-sized beets)
- 1/2 cup lentils, cooked
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (certified gluten-free), Bob’s Red Mill is one brand
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced (about 2-inches)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons organic mustard
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1 chili diced, cilantro for garnish and organic mustard dipping sauce or topping sauce
- Combine the oats and lentils in a blender (if you’re using the chili, add it as well) and put it on pulse for 5 seconds.
- Add the vinegar and continue on pulse until the mixture appears finely chopped and sticks together. Scoop the mixture out into a large bowl and set aside.
- Next add the onion, garlic, mustard and beets to the blender and pulse until finely chopped.
- In large pan, warm the oil over medium heat and add the beet mixture, the salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, until it’s soft.
- Transfer it to the bowl with the oats and chickpeas mixture.
- Add the chickpea flour to the bowl and stir everything together until it’s blended together.
Note: If the mixture appears too wet, add more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time until it’s dry enough to hold together.
- With your hands, scoop out about 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time to form the meatballs.
- Cook them in the pan over medium heat for about 4 minutes each side.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on 3-4 balls per person), and brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 103
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbs: 6.2 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
For some more recipe inspiration, check out some of my other ones.
Awesome blog you haave here
Looks so good. Yummy 😋
I love beets and these look delicious!
Looks amazing these remember me Georgian food
This sounds incredible! I personally love beets as well so I’m sure these will be a new favorite. Thanks for sharing.
They look great
Oh wow! Fantastic recipe!
Sounds so good!
Sounds Yummy. Thanks
Great recipe Sam
These look so good!
Beets are so beautiful, and these balls look out of this world! I want to love them, but the dark ones are not my favorite vegetable. However, my husband loves them, so I get to gaze at their beauty.