Start your morning off with this super fantastic chai latte smoothie recipe! As an added bonus, this gluten-free, vegan breakfast only takes five minutes to make! I’ve made chai tea smoothies before and loved them, so I decided to work the recipe into a smoothie bowl and make it even better. And not to pat myself on the back, but I think I did it! The additional ingredients and toppings made this a filling breakfast and super awesome bowl.
As a brief sidetrack, the weather in Toronto has been cold the last few weeks, and we’re still in lockdown for another couple of weeks, at least. So, it’s not like I’m hanging around outside in frigid temperatures since there’s not much to do. But, I always feel like something hot in winter. Chai tea is so good when you want to warm up. It’s also very healthy for you. The smoothie version is a great compromise for a tasty, healthy breakfast. I drink some hot water with it to satisfy my need for something warm.
My one tip for the day: Drinking hot water first thing in the morning can help clear up overnight congestion and improve your digestion throughout the day.
Chai latte smoothie recipe
- Makes: 1 large serving or 2 small servings
- Time to make: 5 minutes
- 1 cup of almond milk or dairy-free milk of your choice
- 1 scoop of vanilla or chocolate vegan protein powder. I use Vega brand (It’s vegan, gluten and GMO-free, and has a large amount of protein in each scoop)
- A frozen banana cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- A heaping teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 fig
- A handful of blueberries
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of shaved coconut
- A tablespoon of chopped almonds
Blend all ingredients minus the optional toppings in a blender until smooth. Pour the mixture into a bowl and add your optional toppings (if using any). Eat or serve it while it’s cold.
Nutritional information for 1 serving (based on brands used in the recipe)
- Calories: 595 (without toppings: 363)
- Fat: 9.5g (without toppings: 5 g)
- Carbohydrates: 70g (without toppings: 45g)
- Protein: 35g (without toppings: 30g)
Let me know if you decide to try to make my chai latte smoothie recipe and if you have any suggestions for improvement!
If you like my chai smoothie bowl recipe, check out some of my other recipes.
I hope you have a wonderful day and start to your week!