Plant-based, and gluten-free goodness!
I’m making up words again. Or at least I think I am, and since I’m too lazy to Google anything right now, I’m saying I came up with Thai-rrific.
It’s cold so soup is my usual go-to, although I will even eat hot soup on a patio in ridiculous heat. And since it’s me, you know it’s also quick to make!
This dish can be served warm, cold, or at room temperature.
Tofu noodle soup recipe
- Makes: 6 servings
- Total time: one-half hour, cook time: 15 minutes, prep time: 10-15 minutes
- I use less of the noodles and more veggies and tofu to cut down on carbs because vermicelli noodles are low in fiber and protein.
- The reasons for using pepper is for stress and weight management, if you cannot handle spice, you can take a mild pepper and add some strained tomato until it’s mild enough.
- 180 g (1 cup) of brown rice noodles
- 540 g (a little over 2 cups) of extra-firm tofu cubed or cut into strips
- 3 chili peppers of your choice, like wiri wiri, habanero, scotch bonnet, jalapeno (banana peppers have no spice). See note number two above if mild may also be too hot for you
- 8 cups vegetable stock, homemade or a low-sodium gluten-free brand
- 4 cups of vegetables of your choice, chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup of light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 cup of green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup of shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Lemongrass
- Drain and pat the tofu dry.
- Grate the ginger.
- Cut the vegetables, chili and mushrooms.
- Finely dice the garlic, onion and cilantro.
- Marinate the tofu with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil, 1 teaspoon of lime juice and 1 and a half teaspoons of the curry powder for 1 hour (or longer) or a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Boil the vegetable stock in a pot and then turn down to medium-high.
- In the pot, stir in the coconut milk, remaining oil and curry powder.
- Next, add in the tofu, the chili, salt, pepper, garlic, mushrooms, vegetables, and cook for around 10 minutes.
- Add in 1/4 cup of the coriander and most of the green onion and cook for a few minutes.
- Cook the noodles in a separate pot according to the package directions (usually 5 minutes). Drain and rinse with hot water.
- Place everything in bowls and toss with more chili pepper, salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with the remaining parsley, green onion, and the peppers and bean sprouts or lemongrass if using.
Approximate Nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 375 g
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Carbs: 49 g
- Protein: 29 g