What better way to ring in the first week of Fall than with an awesome hearty stew? It’s gluten-free and vegan too, so it can be shared by many…well of course except for anyone that isn’t a mushroom fan!
The health benefits of one of the ingredients include helping with weight management, boosting immunity, and it has anti-inflammatory properties.
Portobello mushroom stew
Makes: 4 servings
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes, cook time: 1 hour, prep time: 30 minutes
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, sliced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup white wine (for mushrooms) or
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons potato flour
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper or lemon pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup of the wine and add the mushroom slices. Allow them to cook through and brown a bit. Turn them occasionally and then set aside when done.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup wine to the pan and add the onion and garlic. Caramelize the onions by stirring them until they begin to brown. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
- Mix the flour, sage, and basil together in a small bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup of the broth to create a paste, and pour the mixture into the same pan you used for the mushrooms and onions.
- Transfer to a large pot.
- Stirring over medium heat, slowly add the rest of the broth.
- When the mixture just starts to boil, turn the heat off and add any additional seasonings you prefer.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper, and balsamic vinegar to the mixture. If more liquid is needed, add more broth.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the mixture and ladle into the pot.
- Add the sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Place the lid on and cook on low for desired time, approximately 1 hour
- Remove from the pot and serve hot.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 270
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbs: 40 g
- Protein: 10 g