Is this cubanelle pepper (Italian frying pepper) dish perfection?
When you’re in the mood for a little kick of spice and a super tasty dish – these cubanelle peppers do the trick! Not only vegan and gluten-free, but this recipe is also low-calorie and low-carb. I can personally eat a lot of them, but they make a great side or appetizer using two.
Cubanelle pepper recipe
Makes: 4 servings
Total time: 30-35 minutes, Cook time: 25-30 minutes, Prep time: 5 minutes
- 8 Cubanelle peppers
- 4 large Roma tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Parsley for garnish
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or 1 minced chili
For the peppers:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Cut the tops off of the peppers.
- Place them in a baking sheet and bake for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place in a bowl with lid, or if you don’t have a lid, cover with plastic wrap.
- Let peppers cool to room temperature.
For the sauce:
- Wash and cut the tomatoes into small cubes.
- In a saucepan, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, some of the salt, balsamic vinegar, basil, oregano and chili or cayenne pepper if using. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 20-25 minutes, until thick, stirring frequently.
- Taste sauce and add more seasoning, if needed.
- Blend if necessary.
- Season the peppers with the remaining salt. Serve topped with the tomato sauce. Garnish with parsley.
Approximate nutrition information for one serving size, 2 peppers (Based on brands and amounts used in this recipe)
- Calories: 77
- Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.2 g
- Protein: 1 g