Vegan and gluten-free light recipe.
Hot days call for something light. These tofu lettuce wraps are just the thing for a great summertime lunch or dinner. It also takes no time to make as an added bonus!
Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- Total Time: 20 minutes, 10 minutes’ cook time, 10 minutes’ prep time, leave time to marinate if you are marinating it
- Serves: 4
- 16 Bibb or butter lettuce leaves
- 2 packages of extra-firm tofu
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped or diced
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 sprigs of large green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of reduced sodium tamari sauce (soy sauce can be used if you’re not gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons of minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons of chili paste or sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut oil spray for the pan
- Optional: 2-3 chili peppers, chopped
- Drain water from the tofu, dice or slice it and add it to a large bowl
- Add in the tamari sauce, chili paste or sauce, red wine vinegar, ginger, salt, pepper and chili peppers if using them and mix together well.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour up to 24 hours. Skip this step if you want to cook it right away.
- Rinse the lettuce leaves and pat them dry, being careful not tear them. Set them aside.
- Spray the coconut oil in a large skillet and cook over a medium-high heat.
- Cook and stir beef and cooking oil in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard grease; transfer beef to a bowl.
- Add the garlic, tomato and white or yellow onion until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the tofu and mixture; cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add in the green onions and sesame oil and cook until the onions just begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves around the outer edge of a large plate or platter and pile the mixture in the middle.
Approximate nutrition per 4 cups (based on brands used in this recipe)
- Calories: 365
- Fat: 23.5 g
- Carbs: 21.8 g
- Protein: 29.8 g