I love eggplant, no matter how it’s cooked! One of my favorite ways is spicy and mashed. Here’s my recipe; it’s vegan, gluten-free and low-calorie, and makes a fabulous side dish.
- 1 eggplant
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tomato diced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-3 habanero or wiri wiri peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash, pat dry and poke some holes in the eggplant with a fork. Roast them in an oven until the skin scorches and starts peeling off.
- Let it cool. To speed up the process, you can cool the eggplant by dipping it in water. Remove the skin and mash it until it’s smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. Cook for half a minute and then add onions, and sauté until they’re translucent.
- Add ginger and peppers and cook for a minute. Add the spices and mashed roasted eggplants and cook for seven to eight minutes over medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Add salt to taste and the tomatoes and cook on medium heat for seven to eight minutes or until the oil
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Nutrition information for one serving (based on brands used)
- Calories: 152
- Fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrates: 15.6g
- Protein: 4.1g