This spicy chickpea, tofu, and quinoa salad recipe came about when my bestie was coming over for dinner one night. I ran out of the ingredients for something I wanted to make and improvised because I didn’t have time to go to the store. Admittedly, this happens to me more often than I’d like to admit! It made a great starter, and it’s also terrific as part of a tapas meal in smaller portions for six people instead of four. As a bonus, it’s gluten-free and vegan!
Some of the health benefits of this recipe include improved cholesterol and blood sugar, boosted immunity, and better energy and digestive health.
Spicy chickpea and quinoa salad
- Makes: 4 servings
- Total time: 1 to 1 .5 hours, cook time: 30-60 minutes (depending on the type of chickpeas used), prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 +1/2 cup quinoa cooked
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables
- 1-2 chili peppers, omit if you don’t want any heat
For the dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
If using dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans:
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Soak them overnight, about 12 hours.
- Boil two cups of water in a medium or large pot and then add the cup of chickpeas.
- Cover and simmer for approximately one hour until tender.
- Drain cool for 15 minutes.
If using canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans:
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and wash.
- Boil two cups of water in a large or medium pot and then add the cup of chickpeas.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 25 -30 minutes until tender.
- Drain and cool for 15 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are cooling, chop the vegetables and tofu.
- Once the chickpeas are cool, add the vegetables in the bowl and then add ½ the curry mixture, toss together and marinate for 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
- Add in the remaining ½ onion, the peppers, the rest of the curry mixture, the vegetables, tofu, and chickpeas.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes
- Whisk or blend dressing ingredients in a blender, and put it on top of salad.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 265
- Fat: 12g
- Carb: 35g
- Protein: 15g