I wanted to try a new breakfast and decided to finally make scrambled tofu. I decided not to research any recipes and just made it on the fly. It turned out well so I thought I would share it! It’s high protein, low-calorie, low-carb and has a good amount of healthy fats – perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Total Time: 10 minutes, 6-minute cooking time, 4-minute prep time (leave time to marinate if you want)
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 package of extra-firm tofu, very well drained
- 2 tablespoons of water (split into two parts)
- 1/2 cup of spinach, chopped
- 1/2 a small tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup of cremini (button) mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 scallion or 1/4 onion of your choice, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Sea salt and cayenne or black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 chili pepper, diced
- In a small bowl, mix the turmeric, cumin, paprika, one tablespoon of water, salt, and pepper into a paste. Crumble in the tofu and toss until it’s all coated in the marinade. Set aside. You can marinate for up to an hour to let the flavor seep into the tofu.
- Dice the spinach, tomato, scallion and mushrooms and mince the garlic.
- Add the extra-virgin olive oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the scallion and garlic, and sauté until fragrant, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu, spinach, mushrooms and chili pepper if using it. Cook for 4 minutes or until tofu is hot throughout.
- Serve immediately.
Approximate nutritional value for 1 serving (based on brands used)
- Calories: 280
- Fat: 12g
- Carb: 7g
- Protein: 27g