I challenged myself to eat less carbs for a few weeks. Not keto, because my personal philosophy is to try to follow the recommended doses of the food groups for proper organ and brain functioning, but also because I just don’t think I can! I’m talking about the recommended amount of carbs. I eat about two-three people’s worth in one day!
One of the recipes I came up with that surprised me was this spaghetti made with tofu and zucchini and beet noodles. I call them zoodles and boodles (is that what you call beet noodles?). Here’s my recipe:
- Makes: 4 servings
- Total time: 1 and a half hours, cook time: 1 hour and 10 minutes, prep time: 15-20 minutes
- 510 g (3 cups or 1 and a half packages) of extra-firm tofu, sliced
- 2 medium green zucchini
- 2 medium yellow zucchini
- 2 medium beets
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium purple or red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of cremini or button mushrooms, diced
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced (it will make approximately 1 and a half cups)
- 3 tablespoons (1/6 cup) of fresh basil, chopped
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 chili peppers, diced, omit if you don’t want spice
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Spiralize the green and yellow beets and zucchini and set aside.
- Dice the tomatoes. Purée or whisk 1 cup of the tomatoes.
- Marinate the tofu for at least 30 minutes in advance with 1/2 of the cup of strained tomatoes, 1 garlic clove, 1 teaspoon of aged balsamic vinegar and the salt and black pepper.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, ground tofu, onion, garlic, mushrooms and green pepper in a large saucepan. Cook and stir until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the diced and puréed tomatoes, remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Add in salt, pepper, oregano and 1 and ½ tablespoons of the basil.
- Simmer spaghetti sauce for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. At the 50-minute mark, add in remaining basil and all the parsley if using it and stir into the sauce.
Approximate nutritional value based on brands and amounts used
|Fat: 9.4 g|
|Carbs: 28 g|
|Protein: 24.1 g|