I’ve mentioned that I’m allergic to seafood and gluten in some previous posts, so my only entrance into the sushi world has been vegetarian.
If you’re hosting a party or for lunch or dinner, add these made-to-order delights to your menu. The prep work can be time-consuming, but the taste is worth it! I add tofu to get extra protein, but I including it as optional for the recipe.
Vegan dynamite sushi sandwiches recipe
- Makes: 4 servings
- Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes – 2 hours, 45 minutes’ cook time, 30-45 minutes’ prep time
- 4 Nori sheets
- Optional: Sesame seeds for garnish
For the rice
- 1 cup of sushi-grade rice
- 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the sushi filling
- 1 cups diced king oyster mushrooms soaked in room temperature water for 20 minutes
- 1 package of extra-firm tofu (optional), sliced
- Grapeseed oil to sauté mushrooms
- 4 toasted nori sheets
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1/4 small purple cabbage, sliced
For the dynamite sauce
Note: If you’re not using tofu, use 2 tablespoons of each
- 1/4 cup of vegan mayonnaise + a little extra for drizzling on top.
- 1/4 cup Sriracha sauce or other hot sauce *Read the ingredients on the label if you’re buying it. I have accidentally bought Sriracha sauce that had fish paste in it.
For the side sauces
- 1/4 cup Tamari sauce, if you’re not gluten-free, use soya sauce
- 1/4 cup of wasabi
- 1/4 cup of pickled ginger
- Cook the rice according to the package.
- Once the rice is done, season it with the beetroot juice, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt and set aside to cool.
- To assemble the rolls, divide the cooled rice into all the portions. Slide a sushi mat into a large Ziploc bag or cover with plastic wrap. Place one sheet of nori with the shiny side down, on the mat. Moisten your fingers with some water to prevent rice from sticking to them and then spread the rice evenly over the nori sheet. Leave about one inch uncovered at the top.
- Once rolled, seal the end with water or add a few grains of rice to the end to help seal. Now cut the sushi in half with a very sharp knife.
- Place all types of sushi onto a serving plate, or plates, and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve with Tamari sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger on the side.
- Mix the vegan mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce together and set aside.
- Chop the mushrooms into rounds and discard the tops. Slice each one into 4 pieces.
- Drain the tofu and slice it into strips (if using)
- Marinate both in half of the the dynamite sauce for 10 minutes up to an hour.
- Add oil to a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the mushrooms and tofu (if using) for 5 minutes and then put them on a paper towel to drain.
- Divide the mushrooms and tofu into 8 portions. Drizzle one portion with the remaining dynamite sauce until evenly coated. Make a thin line of some of the mushrooms and tofu along the side closest to you, adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Roll the sushi as shown in the overall directions detailed above.
- Repeat this process to make 8 rolls.
- Drizzle some vegan mayonnaise on top for decoration.
Approximate nutrition per 8 pieces (Based on brands used in this recipe)
- Calories: 290
- Fat: 11 G
- Carbs: 30 G
- Protein: 19.5 G (6 G without tofu)