tried a variation of this recipe in Florence, Italy for breakfast and started making it at home … of course I add pepper because that’s what I can’t seem to stop myself from doing! Anyway to make a long story short, this vegan and gluten-free dish is tasty, full of protein and healthy fats, and it’s filling.
I’ve tried this recipe now for breakfast, lunch and dinner and loved it any time of the day!
- Makes: 2 servings
- Total Time: 15 minutes, Cook Time: 7 minutes, Prep Time: 8 minutes, and time to marinate
- 210 g (1 and 1/4 cups) of smoked extra-firm tofu, cubed
- 12 large asparagus spears (or 18 small spears), whole or chopped
- 1/2 cup of cremini (button) mushrooms, whole or 1/4 cup sliced in half
- 1/4 of a small white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 a medium tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 pinches of freshly ground pepper
- Optional: 1 chili pepper
- Rinse and pat the tofu dry and cut it into cubes
- Wash and dry the asparagus, cut off the bottoms and cut into the size you want
- Wash, dry and dice the tomato and if using the mushrooms and chili
- Whisk together the tomato, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar and chili if using with a hand blender or fork
- And in the tofu and mix together to cover it evenly. Marinate the tofu for 10 minutes up to 24 hours in the fridge if desired
- Heat the sunflower oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and add in the marinated tofu, asparagus, and mushrooms and chili if using.
- Cook for 7 minutes or until the asparagus is cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Approximate nutritional value based on brands and amounts used 1458, 30.1, 188.4, 88.8
|Fat: 7.5 g|
|Carbs: 27.1 g|
|Protein: 22.2 g|