I don’t make enough tacos. When I eat them, I remember how much I love them. When I was staying in New York for business, I got hooked on them. They are tasty and filling. I sometimes don’t eat the whole shell; I would rather fill up on the inside goodness!
You can use either chicken or tofu in this recipe, and it’s gluten-free! Some of the health benefits of the ingredients include digestive, eye and heart health, improved skin and immunity. See below the directions for full nutrition and health benefits.
Chicken or tofu and mango tacos for 4
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, or 1 package of extra-firm tofu
- 4 brown rice tortillas or corn tacos
- Seasoning for chicken or tofu
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small onion minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red or black pepper
- 2/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced peeled mango, diced
- 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- Cut chicken or tofu into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine first 4 ingredients; stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Rub the seasoning over the chicken or tofu and let sit to marinate a bit. I prefer to marinate chicken for at least an hour and tofu for just 5-10 minutes, but sometimes there’ s simply no time so you can let sit for a few minutes.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add in the chicken or tofu; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove chicken from pan and let stand 5 minutes.
- While the chicken or tofu is cooking, combine the mango and remaining ingredients.
- Warm the tortillas or tacos and top with chicken and salsa. Make sure the toppings are even.
Approximate nutrition information for one serving size (Based on brands and amounts used in this recipe)
- Calories: with chicken: 398 | with tofu: 286
- Fat: with chicken: 9.3g | with tofu: 10.4g
- Carbohydrates: with chicken: 34g | 36g with tofu
- Protein: with chicken: 42.4g | 29g with tofu