Have you ever woken up with back or neck pain from sleeping in a bad position, or felt the same pain after a stressful day? You can help take away some of that pressure by massaging the areas. Not only does a massage feel great, but it’s also one way to help reduce the radiating pain and headache that come from tensed muscles.
If you’re experiencing tension and want to relieve some of your pain quickly, try massaging your neck, and feet. These are two pressure points that you can do by yourself. Use massage oil or lotion if you like for a smoother massage. Make sure to avoid using heavy pressure on the spine or your feet.
Massaging your neck
Sit upright in your chair or lie down on the floor on your back. Put your feet flat on the floor and bend your knees.
- Use your right hand on your left shoulder and work your fingers gently but firmly, beginning with your shoulder blade. Move up toward the neck and include your scalp. Repeat this motion four times and then repeat the whole massage on the right side, using your left hand.
- Massage the muscular part of your shoulder at the base of your neck, using a circular motion. Gradually increase the pressure. Use your right hand on the left shoulder and your left hand on the right shoulder.
- Next, rub your scalp gently and quickly (similar to how you wash your hair). Do this massage for at least 30 seconds to a minute.
Massaging your feet
Sit on a chair or the floor.
- Place one foot on the opposite thigh. Use your thumbs and rub the full length of your foot, from the heel to your toes and back. Repeat this motion several times.
- Wrap your fingers around the top of your foot and wrap your thumbs around the bottom of your foot. Start at the arch of your foot and squeeze with your thumbs. Move up to the toes and repeat this motion several times.
- Take each toe between your fingers and gently roll them back and forth. Rub the area between the toes.
- Support your ankle with one hand and your toes in the other. Rotate your foot first in one direction and then in the other.
These quick massages should help you relieve some of the tension you’re feeling.