I’ve only been to a Peruvian restaurant a few times. I was hooked after the first time; I just don’t have one that’s easy to get to from where I live. If you’ve never tried Peruvian food, I highly recommend it. My favorite dish so far is the Pollo or Lomo Saltado (chicken or steak stir-fry). It adds the greatest food invention of all time, French fries, to the mix; and I have yet to meet a French fry I didn’t like. Traditionally, it’s a fairly high-carb meal, but my recipe uses less rice and fries to keep the protein and carb split at 50/50. I also bake the fries, so they are healthier.
Here’s my recipe for the chicken and vegan version with tofu. It’s not only delicious but so simple and quick to make! I can make a tasty meal without feeling like a lot of suffering, or pain, sweat, and tears went into making it…possibly aside from slicing the onions!
Pollo or Tofu Saltado
- Makes: 4 servings
- Total time: 40 minutes, prep time: 20 mins, cook time: 20 minutes, add in extra time if you are marinating the chicken
Note: I made some minor modifications to the traditional recipe for allergens and ingredients I use regularly. For example, I use basmati rice instead of white rice and Tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast, or extra-firm tofu cut into slices
- 2 cups of baked steak cut French fries (I use Cavendish brand because of the omegas, and they’re low calorie and low fat, or you can make your own)
- 1 cup of cooked basmati rice
- 2 red or green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup gluten-free chicken stock
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1-2 chili pepper, thinly sliced (Aji Amarillo chili pepper, seeded is best)
- 3 tablespoons of Tamari sauce (or soy sauce if wheat isn’t an issue for you)
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped for garnish
- Cook rice according to the package.
- Bake the French fries at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until cooked to your liking.
- Mix 1/4 of the garlic, onion, tomato, pepper, tamari/soy sauce and vinegar, and some salt and pepper to season the chicken or tofu. Marinate for at least an hour if you have time.
- Add oil to a hot wok or a pan and then add the chicken or tofu. Sauté it, a few slices at a time, so they don’t steam but turn golden; about 10-15 minutes for the chicken or 5-10 minutes for the tofu, depending on your stove.
- Add the remaining garlic, onion, tomato, chili pepper, soy sauce and vinegar and stir for a couple of minutes, stirring it frequently. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Take it off the heat, add chopped cilantro and serve the dish immediately with the French fries and rice.
Chicken: Approximate nutritional information for one serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 520
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbs: 39 g
- Protein: 40 g
Tofu Approximate nutritional information for one serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 498
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbs: 42 g
- Protein: 29 g