Make a dish no one can resist, peppers stuffed with quinoa! It’s tasty, and full of health benefits including improved immunity, weight loss and digestive health. The full nutrition and health benefits are listed below the recipe.
Peppers stuffed with quinoa
- Total time: Approximately 1 hour, 25 minutes, Cook time: 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, Prep time: 15 minutes
- Makes: 2 servings
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1+1/4 cup water
- 540g strained tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped almonds or walnuts
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 diced chili pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers. Remove the seeds and scrape out the flesh inside the peppers with a spoon. Set aside.
- Mix quinoa, 1 cup of the strained tomatoes, ½ of the basil and the water in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Set heat to lowest setting, cover saucepan and simmer until liquid is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
- Sauté the almonds or walnuts in a pan for a few minutes; don’t let them burn. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and cook the onions and garlic for approximately 3 minutes. Add to a large bowl.
- When the quinoa is ready, add it to the bowl, as well as the mint, the remaining pasta sauce and salt and pepper.
- Divide the quinoa mixture evenly among the bell peppers, fully fill each pepper. Put the top back on the pepper.
- Arrange the peppers upright in a parchment paper-lined dish for the oven, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 20g
- Carbs: 35g
- Protein: 14g