I mentioned previously that I love soup no matter what time of year it is. I can sit on a patio in the heat and still eat hot soup. If you’re not like me, this one can be served hot or cold, depending on what the weather is like where you live.
Pumpkin can help promote healthy skin and hair, increased energy, and weight management.
Spicy curried pumpkin soup for 4
Total time: 1.5 hours, cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes, prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 x 2-pound pumpkin, cut in half, or quartered with seeds and pulp removed
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1-2 habanero peppers
- Salt to taste
- Toasted pumpkin seeds and parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Rub pumpkin halves with coconut oil. Then place flesh-side down on a foil-lined cookie sheet and roast for 45 minutes or until flesh is tender when pricked with a fork. Once cool enough to touch, scoop pumpkin flesh out from the skins and set aside for later use.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat, and melt oil or butter. Add onion and do not stir. Allow onions to brown on one side, then flip them in one move and do not stir again, allowing onions to brown on the other side.
- Add garlic and ginger, stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes, until garlic becomes fragrant and slightly brown. Add curry powder, garam masala, cumin, and cloves, and constantly stir until spices become toasted and fragrant, for about 60 seconds. Add stock, coconut milk, and pumpkin, and bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat, and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. Alternatively, transfer soup in batches to a blender, and blend until smooth. Once soup is completely smooth, turn the flame back on to medium-high heat and bring soup to a simmer.
- Serve soup with some toasted pumpkin seeds and a pinch of parsley or cilantro leaves.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories:167.5 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbs: 12.5 g
- Protein: 4 g