If you haven’t been active for a while or are easing your way into working out, try gradually getting into fitness and living an active life. First, try new things out in small doses, things that will get your heart beating faster, and you should get at least 30 minutes of activity each day.
You can do some great things that you should keep up even when you work out regularly.
Here are some ways you can live more actively
Please note that these suggestions should supplement your workout. Or if you are just easing your way into working out, these are great things that you should keep doing even once you start working out.
At work or school
- If possible walk, bike, skateboard or rollerblade to and from work or school.
- Do some stretches or simple exercises while waiting for the bus or other transportation, if you feel comfortable doing it in front of others, or when there’s nobody around.
- During breaks take some time to stretch, walk around or take the stairs, especially if you’re at a desk for long periods.
- Make sure you stand up to get your circulation going if you’ve been sitting for a while.
During downtime or when you’re off
- Walk, run, or climb stairs.
- Bowl, play mini-golf or play active video games (dance, sports, etc.)
- Take a self-defense class.
- Go out to dance or do it at home.
- If you live in a house: shovel your driveway, mow your lawn or rake your leaves.
- If you live in an apartment or condo: take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- If you have a car: hand-wash it.
- Use down time as active time. Stretch or do simple exercises while you’re watching TV or a movie.
- Clean. You are constantly moving and working different parts of your body when you vacuum, dust, do laundry or wash the dishes.
- Plant a vegetable or herb garden in your backyard or on your balcony (if you’re allowed). If you have neither, herb gardens can also be grown indoors by the window.
These are some of my tips to try to get yourself moving regularly. What are some of yours?