Upfront I’ll say this pasta was a hit with everyone! I made it for a dinner that had meat and vegetarian eaters so I decided to make all the dishes veggie – well vegan since I can’t eat dairy. Also, gluten-free since…well me again 🙂
I used lentil noodles for extra protein because I always make sure meals are balanced. I mentioned in another post that lentil spaghetti has 18g of protein per 85g.
There are additional benefits of using lentil pasta. Lentils help improve cholesterol and blood sugar, boost immunity, give you energy, and aid with weight management and digestive health.
I added habanero peppers because I wanted an extra Chuck Norris punch, but those are optional.
Protein packed vegan spaghetti recipe
- Makes: 4-6 servings
- Total time: 1 and a half hours, cook time: 1 hour and 10 minutes, prep time: 15-20 minutes – It can also be made in 30 minutes if you don’t want to simmer the sauce, just cook it on medium-high
- 500 g lentil spaghetti, I use Tolerant brand (it has 18g of carbs per 85g)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 12-16 mini Roma tomatoes, cut in half
- 600 mls strained tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Optional: 1-2 habanero peppers and some olives
- Cook the pasta according to the package.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in Roma tomatoes, strained tomatoes, and the remaining olive oil.
- Add in salt, pepper, oregano and 1/4 cup of the basil and peppers if using.
- Simmer spaghetti sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. At the 20-minute mark, add in some more of the basil and stir it into the sauce.
- Top with the remaining basil and olives if using.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 341
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbs: 59 g
- Protein: 22 g