I’m making a bold statement with my title. But I said it. It’s better than any cream version I’ve had. I love cream of mushroom soup. Not being able to eat dairy anymore, I had to experiment with a recipe that works and tastes creamy. And I found it. I love this soup on its own and it makes an excellent sauce for other dishes. I’m moving today so I think I may have posted a mushroom soup recipe in combination with something before, so my apologies if I did!
I like this soup more than almost any other I make, but it takes longer so I don’t make it as often (hello laziness!). Fortunately, not only does it taste awesome, but it’s low calorie and healthy too!
Some health benefits of the ingredients in this soup soup are helping with weight management, boosting immunity, and it also has anti-inflammatory properties to help with asthma, rheumatoid arthritis and renal failure.
Listed below the recipe is the nutritional value for the dish.
Mushroom soup recipe
Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 1 hour, cook time: 30 minutes, prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds (900 g) cremini mushrooms, diced
- Handful of shiitake mushrooms
- 3/4 cup yellow (or other) onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2-1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of Pinot Grigio or non-alcoholic white cooking white
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Optional: chopped mushrooms for garnish
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Add in the mushrooms, stir to coat with the olive oil. Cook the mushrooms on medium-high heat until they are lightly browned and have released most of their water.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add chicken stock, minced onions, garlic, salt, pepper dried tarragon,
- Increase the heat to medium-high; bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a hand blender, purée the sauce until smooth and then return to the pot. (If the sauce is too thick for you, add some water or more stock to thin the sauce to the desired level of thickness.)
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 105 calories
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbs: 5 g
- Protein: 4 g