Even though it’s technically not summer yet, it feels like it, and what better food to eat in the summer than salad! This spicy chickpea, tofu, and quinoa salad recipe came about when my bestie was coming over for dinner one night. I ran out of the ingredients for something I wanted to make and improvised because I didn’t have time to go to the store. Admittedly, this happens to me more often than I’d like to admit! It made a great starter, and it’s also terrific as part of a tapas meal in smaller portions for six people instead of four. As a bonus, it’s gluten-free and vegan!
Some of the health benefits of this recipe include improved cholesterol and blood sugar, boosted immunity, and better energy and digestive health.
Spicy chickpea, tofu, and quinoa salad
- Makes: 4 servings
- Total time: 1 to 1 .5 hours, cook time: 30-60 minutes (depending on the type of chickpeas used), prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 +1/2 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 package of soft tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables
- 1-2 chili peppers or I’ve also used Portugallo Sauces; they come in different heat levels, omit if you don’t want any heat
For the dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
If using dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans:
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Soak them overnight, about 12 hours.
- Boil two cups of water in a medium or large pot and then add the cup of chickpeas.
- Cover and simmer for approximately one hour until tender.
- Drain cool for 15 minutes.
If using canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans:
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and wash.
- Boil two cups of water in a large or medium pot and then add the cup of chickpeas.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 25 -30 minutes until tender.
- Drain and cool for 15 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are cooling, chop the vegetables and tofu.
- Once the chickpeas are cool, add the vegetables in the bowl and then add ½ the curry mixture, toss together and marinate for 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
- Add in the remaining ½ onion, the peppers, the rest of the curry mixture, the vegetables, tofu, and chickpeas.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes
- Whisk or blend dressing ingredients in a blender, and put it on top of salad.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 265
- Fat: 12g
- Carb: 35g
- Protein: 15g