Sometimes we need to detox to get our bodies back in balance. Cleanses or choosing detoxifying foods are a couple of ways to do it. Some of the best natural detox foods are bananas, lemon, turmeric, kiwi, coconut milk or water, and oats or quinoa. Did you know that coconut and banana are also good hangover cures?
My smoothie bowl recipe combines many of these ingredients that work in harmony to help you detox. It also helps to cure hangovers, improve skin, immunity and heart health. Is this the greatest invention ever? Only time will tell!
Listed below the recipe are the full health benefits and nutritional value of the ingredients.
Super detox smoothie bowl
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup quinoa or pure oats cooked, Nature’s Path makes pure oats that are gluten-free
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder, I use Vega Sport because it’s high protein, gluten-free and plant based
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Optional: 1/4 cup of coffee, cooled (along with coconut and banana, it helps with a hangover)
- 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 banana, chopped
- 1 kiwi, sliced
- Handful of goji berries
- 1 tablespoon oats
Add all ingredients minus toppings into a blender and puree until smooth. Add toppings and serve.
Nutritional value for 1 serving (based on brands and quantities used in the recipe)
- Calories: 542 (without toppings: 374)
- Fat: 18 g (without toppings: 13 g)
- Carbohydrates: 65g (without toppings: 49g)
- Protein: 38g (without toppings: 33g)
Some health benefits
- Lemon: Helps improve skin, digestion, and ulcers; also used for eye care and respiratory disorders.
- Coconut: Supports skin and hair health, weight loss, and helps fight infections.
- Bananas: Support digestion, weight loss and heart health, they are also good for hangovers because of the potassium to help dehydration.
- Kiwi: aids in digestion, boosts immunity, helps lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of blood clots.
- Chia seeds: Boosts immunity for disease prevention, helps with depression, and intestinal and heart health.
- Quinoa: Is an antioxidant and helps with intestinal health
- Caffeine: Improve memory, decrease fatigue, improve mental functioning, and help metabolism.
- Goji berries: Boosts immunity helping to prevent certain diseases, maintains blood sugar and blood pressure levels, aids in digestion, and helps cell regeneration for anti-aging.
- Protein, carbs and fat: Key building blocks for your body’s functioning.