I had no other words to describe this dish other than yummylicious. I love mushroom chicken and cream of mushroom soup. Not being able to eat dairy, I had to experiment with a recipe that works. And I found it. I love this soup on its own and it makes an excellent sauce for the chicken. So, to make it easier (for me!), I put them in one post.
I honestly wouldn’t care if there weren’t any health benefits, I like it that much. I like it more than fried anything (which if you could fry anything and it was healthy I would eat it always!). But fortunately, it’s not only low calorie, it’s healthy too!
Just one of the ingredients in this bowl helps with weight management and to boost immunity, and also have anti-inflammatory properties to help with asthma, rheumatoid arthritis and renal failure.
Listed below the recipe are the full health benefits and nutritional value for the ingredients
Mushroom soup and chicken recipe
Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 1 hour (if cooking chicken and sauce concurrently) add 20 minutes if not. Cook time: 30 minutes, prep time: 30 minutes (if marinating the meat, add in sitting time for marinade)
Ingredients fort the soup/sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds (900 g) cremini mushrooms, diced
- Handful of shiitake mushrooms
- 3/4 cup yellow onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2-1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine or non-alcoholic white cooking white
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Ingredients for chicken marinade
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, quartered and squeezed onto the chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of dry white wine or non-alcoholic white cooking wine
For the soup
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Add in the mushrooms, stir to coat with the olive oil. Cook the mushrooms on medium-high heat until they are lightly browned and have released most of their water.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add chicken stock, minced onions, garlic, salt, pepper dried tarragon,
- Increase the heat to medium-high; bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a hand blender, purée the sauce until smooth and then return to the pot. (If the sauce is too thick for you, add some water or more stock to thin the sauce to the desired level of thickness.)
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
For the chicken
- Marinate chicken at least 1 hour before cooking if possible using the ingredients above
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (this can be done prior to cooking the sauce so that the chicken and soup cook at the same time).
- Add in the marinated chicken and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until fully cooked (but not dry).
Once both the sauce and chicken are cooked, coat the chicken with the marinade in a separate dish. If you have sauce left over, you can use it as a gravy for your side dish/dishes. Add some sliced mushrooms as a topping if you’d like.
Chicken with mushroom soup sauce approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories per serving: 335 calories
- Fat: 19 g
- Carbs: 5 g
- Protein: 25.8 g
Mushroom soup approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 105 calories
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbs: 5 g
- Protein: 4
Some health benefits
- Mushrooms: Help with weight management and to boost immunity, and also have anti-inflammatory properties to help with asthma, rheumatoid arthritis and renal failure.
- Garlic: Improves blood pressure, cholesterol, and immunity, and helps reduce stress.
- Onions: Improves bone density and cardiovascular functioning, and is an anti-inflammatory.
- Lemon: Helps improve skin, digestion, and ulcers; also used for eye care and respiratory disorders.
- Protein, carbs and fat: These three are key building blocks for your body’s functioning.