There were two inspirations for this post. The first, Tsvetana of sheenjoyslife gave me the idea for this smoothie bowl, and I have to say it was delicious! The second was for the title. As you may know by now, my mind can be swayed with music and cartoons. This time, it’s The Flintstones, and an episode where Fred Flintstone had a friend that he nicknamed “old smoothie”. A conversation led to the episode somehow, I will chalk it up to a “conversation gone sideways”. And here we are.
My “old smoothie” came from a blueberry smoothie that I turned into a smoothie bowl, and then thanks to Tsvetana’s amazing acai bowl, turned into this awesomeness in a bowl. There’s nothing boring about this acai blueberry banana bowl. It makes an excellent breakfast, post-workout meal or snack.
The nutrients in this recipe help with weight management, heart, and skin health and improved digestion. The full health benefits and nutrition are listed below the recipe.
Have a wonderful Saturday!
Acai blueberry banana bowl
- 1 + 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1 fresh or frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons acai berry powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop of vegan protein powder, I use Vega Clean
Toppings I used (all are optional)
- 1/4 cup of blueberries
- 1/4 cup of mango
- 1/2 of a small banana
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
Add all ingredients minus toppings into a blender and puree until smooth. Add toppings and serve.
Approximate nutrition information for one serving size (Based on brands and amounts used in this recipe)
- Calories: 440 (without toppings: 272)
- Fat: 6.5g (without toppings: 2g)
- Carbohydrates: 68g (without toppings: 38g)
- Protein: 28.5g (without toppings: 25g)
Some health benefits
- Acai: Helps with weight management, heart and skin health, and digestion; boosts immunity, energy and mental functioning.
- Bananas: Support digestion, weight loss and heart health, they are also good for hangovers because of the potassium to help dehydration.
- Mango: Helps clear skin and fight heat stroke, and supports digestive, eye and heart health.
- Chia seeds: Boosts immunity for disease prevention, helps with depression, and intestinal and heart health.
- Protein: Builds and repairs tissues. It also makes enzymes and hormones and is vital to building bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.