Not sleeping well has become almost an automatic response for me. Work’s super busy, and January is the birthday month for family and friends (seven including my mom, brother, and brother-in-law), so sleep has not come easy. I got up extra early today to make a smoothie before I go on a walk for Alzheimer’s awareness. I decided to combine my need for caffeine and food into one smoothie (it can be made with decaf too).
As I’m going on a walk for Alzheimer’s awareness, I will mention that in moderation caffeine can help decrease the chances of getting it. Some other health benefits of the ingredients in this smoothie include boosted immunity, and improved heart and digestive health. Full nutrition and health benefits are listed below the recipe.
Vanilla latte smoothie bowl recipe
- 1 cup of cold almond milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 shot espresso or 1/2 cup of cooled coffee with 1/4 cup almond milk to mimic espresso (or decaf)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 medium banana in chunks
- 1 scoop vanilla vegan protein powder
- Shaved coconut
- Gluten-free granola
- Sunflower seeds
- Sprinkle with cinnamon
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 326
- Fat: 10.4g
- Carbs: 29.8g
- Protein: 32.5g
- Add all ingredients minus the toppings into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add toppings and serve.
Some health benefits
- Bananas: Support digestion, weight loss and heart health, they are also good for hangovers because of the potassium to help dehydration.
- Coconut: Supports skin and hair health, weight loss, and helps fight infections.
- Cinnamon: Is an antioxidant, promotes heart health, boosts immunity and protects teeth and gums and freshens breath.
- Blueberries: Have the highest antioxidant capacities of all fruit for disease prevention and anti-aging; they also help lower blood pressure improving heart health.
- Chia seeds: Boosts immunity for disease prevention, helps with depression, and intestinal and heart health.
- Caffeine: Improve memory, decrease fatigue, improve mental functioning, and help metabolism.
- Protein, carbs and fat: As mentioned in The basics for a proper diet, these two, along with fats, are key building blocks for your body’s functioning.