I don’t make enough tacos. When I eat them, I remember how much I love them. When I was staying in New York a lot last year, I got hooked on them. They are tasty and filling. I sometimes don’t eat the whole shell; I would rather fill up on the inside goodness!
You can use either chicken or tofu in this recipe, and it’s gluten-free! Some of the health benefits of the ingredients include digestive, eye and heart health, improved skin and immunity. See below the directions for full nutrition and health benefits.
Chicken or tofu and mango tacos for 4
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, or 1 package of firm tofu
- 4 brown rice tortillas or corn tacos
- Seasoning for chicken or tofu
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small onion minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red or black pepper
- 2/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced peeled mango, diced
- 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- Cut chicken or tofu into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine first 4 ingredients; stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Rub the seasoning over the chicken or tofu and let sit to marinate a bit. I prefer to marinate chicken for at least an hour and tofu for just 5-10 minutes, but sometimes there’ s simply no time so you can let sit for a few minutes.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add in the chicken or tofu; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove chicken from pan and let stand 5 minutes.
- While the chicken or tofu is cooking, combine the mango and remaining ingredients.
- Warm tortillas or tacos and top with chicken and salsa. Make sure the toppings aren’t uneven to give out equal portions. It also makes them look better when serving!
Approximate nutrition information for one serving size (Based on brands and amounts used in this recipe)
- Calories: with chicken: 398 | with tofu: 286
- Fat: with chicken: 9.3g | with tofu: 10.4g
- Carbohydrates: with chicken: 34g | 36g with tofu
- Protein: with chicken: 42.4g | 29g with tofu
Some health benefits
- Garlic: improves blood pressure, cholesterol, and immunity, and helps reduce stress
- Onions: improves bone density and cardiovascular functioning, and is an anti-inflammatory.
- Mango: Helps clear skin and fight heat stroke, and supports digestive, eye and heart health.
- Red cabbage: Supports intestinal and eye health, and weight loss, boosts immunity and has anti-aging properties.
- Avocado: Supports digestion, weight loss and heart health, they are also good for hangovers because of the potassium to help dehydration.
- Bell pepper: An antioxidant, has weight management properties and can help protect against certain diseases.
- Hot pepper: Protects against stress and certain diseases, help with pain management and inflammation.
- Lime: Helps improve skin, digestion, and ulcers; also used for eye care and respiratory disorders.
- Cilantro (coriander): Is an antioxidant.
- Protein and carbs: As mentioned in The basics for a proper diet, these two, along with fats, are key building blocks for your body’s functioning.