I prefer to simmer my pasta sauce for at least two hours to get the flavors to blend well. Sometimes that kind of time isn’t possible, so I found that this spaghetti and asparagus recipe I came up with tastes like the sauce did simmer for much longer. You can get a standing ovation for your meal without having to spend a lot of time preparing it!
Gluten-free spaghetti and asparagus recipe
Makes: 4 servings
Total time: 35 minutes, cook time: 25 minutes, prep time: 10 minutes (if marinating the meat, add in sitting time for the marinade)
- 540g boneless skinless chicken breast cut into chunks
- 1 package gluten-free spaghetti
- 10 Roma tomatoes and 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of cremini mushrooms diced
- 1 cup asparagus chopped
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 cup Pinot Grigio
- Cook the pasta according to the package.
- Marinate the chicken in 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and all other ingredients for a minimum of 10 minutes; preferably a minimum of an hour.
- Warm remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the marinated chicken and cook until chicken is almost cooked through and browned, for about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the asparagus and cook until the asparagus is just tender and chicken is fully cooked; about 10 minutes.
- Stir the chicken mixture into the pasta, and mix well. Let sit for about 5 minutes and then serve.