I love this time of year! It’s the perfect time to get together with family and friends, eat fabulous food and have engaging (hopefully!) conversations. I love the sound of laughter that echoes throughout the house. Food is such an integral part of any party, and I try to make healthy but tasty food. This recipe came about because I ran out of the ingredients for something I wanted to make and improvised because I didn’t have time to go to the store. Admittedly, this happens to me more often than I’d like to admit! It was a hit as an appetizer and is also terrific as part of a tapas meal in smaller portions for six people instead of four. As I always say, as a bonus, it’s gluten-free and vegan!
Spicy tofu and quinoa salad
Makes: 4 servings
Total time: 1 to 1 .5 hours, cook time: 30-60 minutes (depending on the type of chickpeas used), prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 +1/2 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 package of soft tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables
- 1-2 chili peppers
For the dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for chickpeas/garbanzo and vegetables:
If using dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans:
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Allow to soak overnight, about 12 hours.
- Boil two cups of water in a medium or large pot and then add the cup of chickpeas.
- Cover and simmer for approximately one hour until tender.
- Drain cool for 15 minutes.
If using canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans:
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and wash.
- Boil two cups of water in a large or medium pot and then add the cup of chickpeas.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 25 -30 minutes until tender.
- Drain and cool for 15 minutes.
- While chickpeas are cooling, chop the vegetables and tofu.
- Once the chickpeas are cool add the vegetables in the bowl and then add ½ the curry mixture, toss together and marinate for 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
- Add in the remaining ½ onion, the peppers, the rest of the curry mixture, the vegetables, tofu and chickpeas.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes
Whisk or blend dressing ingredients in blender and put on top of salad, let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Approximate nutritional information for 1 serving (Based on brands and amounts used in the recipe)
- Calories: 265
- Fat: 12g
- Carb: 35g
- Protein: 15g