To some, the smell of garlic is pungent. To me, there is nothing better. I love garlic and use a lot of it in my cooking. The health benefits make it that much more appealing! In honor of my love of garlic, here is a recipe for a traditional Guyanese rice dish. I will post a vegan version another day (or if you want to try it out, substitute the beef for ground tofu).
Cook-up rice with black-eyed peas and beef
Makes: 6 servings
Total time: 50 minutes -1.5 hours (depending on the type of pot used to cook), cook time: 40 minutes to 1 hour, prep time: 10 minutes (if marinating the meat, add in sitting time for the marinade)
- 1 pound of stewing beef
- 1 cup of dried black-eyed peas (soaked overnight and drained)
- 2 cups of parboiled long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 + 1/2 cups of coconut milk
- 3 cups of water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme (use 3 tablespoons if using dried)
- 1 tablespoon of Casareep (juice from a cassava), or Tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of salt or to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- A handful of fresh basil, chopped
- Green onions for garnish
- Optional: 1-2 habanero, wiri wiri or scotch bonnet peppers
- In a medium bowl, add beef, onion, garlic, tomatoes, casareep, brown sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Mix together and let marinate for approximately half an hour.
- Add oil to a pressure cooker on medium heat, and sauté the beef for 10 minutes. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, add the beef to a pot on medium heat and cook beef for about 20 minutes.
- Add black-eyed peas and 3 cups of water and pressure cook for approximately 15-20 minutes or until peas and beef are fully cooked. If not using a pressure cooker, cook for about 40-45 minutes.
- Once the peas and beef are cooked, transfer them along with any remaining liquids, to a large pot.
- Add rice, coconut milk and 2 cups of water to the peas and beef
- Cover the pot and cook on high until liquids come to a boil. Once boiling cook for 10 mins, then reduce to low heat and let simmer until rice is completely cooked. Stir the rice occasionally.
- Add the basil when the rice is almost fully cooked.
- Add the green onion garnish when done.